Monday 01-07-2013: Back to Gabs

Alice and I woke up naturally around 8:30 – before our 9am alarm! I thought it would be best to eat first and then pack (especially since I had gathered that they sometime ran out of certain breakfast foods) and I was so glad we did.

Breakfast was a feast. Literally. Cornflakes (and milk!) toast and scrambled eggs, fresh fruit and these delicious corn muffin-like pastries that were out of this world. This was literally the best meal I’ve had in Botswana and I enjoyed every minute of it!

After breakfast, we headed back to the tent to pack everything up. This was a relatively easy task, since we had only one suitcase between the two of us (and we each had our own backpacks). We checked out of our tents, and then hung around the lodge for a couple of hours before it was time to go to the airport.

I was able to take some more photos of the lodge, and also just relax by the pool. There were some really interesting books about Botswana (the Kalahari Desert, Okavango delta, etc.) that I also was able to peruse. Their pictures were gorgeous and very inspirational.

I also ordered a bacon and egg sandwich (that also came with chips!) that I split with Alice, since I (correctly) assumed that we wouldn’t be fed a meal on our flight home.

After that, we all piled into a Kwalape safari vehicle (with our luggage, this time!) and were driven to the airport. Once again, we got through check-in and security in no time at all, but then had quite a bit of downtime to do something I hadn’t done in quite some time – watch TV on a large TV screen. It was some random news program from France (I believe, but in English) but it was just exciting to watch TV, regardless of what it was.

The plane ride home was empty – there were probably 30 people on a flight that could have held around 60. I wasn’t complaining, though, since I got a whole row to myself! I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this before, but when embarking or disembarking Air Botswana flights, you kind of feel like a celebrity. You don’t board from some windowless extension of the airport, but rather you are out in the sunshine, walking (on a set of pull-out stairs) to and from your plane!

After a quick 90 minute flight we were back in Gabs. And we weren’t just on time – we were early! We only had to wait five minutes before we saw the MaP bus, though, and before we knew it, we were back safe and sound at school.

Because it was Monday (and on Monday, the power usually goes out from 5:30-8:30ish) I instantly started charging my computer as soon as we got back, because I wanted to be able to look at and edit all my photos and videos if the power went out. I then jumped in the shower (because I also wanted to take a warm shower before the power went out!)

Then, a bunch of the interns headed to the staff room to check email. Miraculously, the power never went out (perhaps because it was a national holiday). I made myself some Ramen-like instant noodles in a mug, which were surprisingly delicious. Some of the other interns were (after many struggles) able to order pizza from Debonairs.

After a lot of laughing and internet-ing, we headed back to the annex around 11.

TGT: 1) delicious breakfast! 2) hanging out in the staffroom (with power!) 3) getting my own row in the airplane

Until next time,


One thought on “Monday 01-07-2013: Back to Gabs

  1. That’s nice that you got your own row on the plane – I know what it’s like to sit next to you on the plane!! Hehehehe love you 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s